View Single Post
Old
09-20-2010, 08:39 PM
BobMarleyNYR

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
The difference is that both Neil Smith and Roger Neilson were willing to play kids no matter their experience. I'm hoping that Torts and Sather give these kids a longer look.

Leetch under Bergeron, Weight, Rice and Amonte in the 1991 playoffs, and Kovalev and Zubov in 1992 -- all those guys either barely played in the AHL or skipped the minors altogether.

People forget 1989 and 1990. The Rangers played nothing but kids. Granato and Leetch took the city by storm in 1989. The Rangers won their first division in 50 years in 1990, and half the roster were kids out of college or junior with no more than one year (if that) of AHL or IHL experience.

Mallette, Janssens, Turcotte, Kevin Miller, Leetch, Broten, Granato (who was traded for Nicholls) -- all those kids played big minutes for those early 90's teams. Rice's stock skyrocketed after the few games he played in the 1991 playoffs.

Amonte went from straight from the NCAA tourney to Washington for the playoffs. Literally. He went from the triple-OT title game to DC in a matter of days. No AHL. No 4th line minutes. He was 20 years old and was already playing on the 2nd power play unit. I say we do the same with Kreider.

Del Zotto helped carry the offense in the beginning of the season. Anisimov was the team's best center for the last month. That made me happy, because it shows how certain kids can handle the pressure.

Like I have said for the last 10 years -- if we are going to suck, be boring and mediocre, I'd much rather do it with kids than with a 62-yea-old Marcel Dionne or Pat Lafointaine nearing AARP status. It will benefit the team ten-fold in the long run.
Good history lesson... goes back to a couple years before I really followed, but I remember all those guys.

Anyhow, I agree 100%... and Kreider could be like Cam Neely (- injuries).

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote