View Single Post
Old
09-22-2010, 12:21 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
The fallacy in this argument is trying to separate the player from his salary. In the new NHL, a player's salary is a part of how valuable a player is. There are examples all over the place. Look at Campbell in Chicago. He's a very good player, but his value is lower due to the contract he has.

No one blames Olesz for taking the contract Martin offered. Most admit that Olesz is a capable bottom 6 NHL player. HOWEVER, for his contract, that simply is not enough production. We can debate his effort or anything else, but the bottom line is his stats do not come anywhere close to justifying what he's being paid. And for a team on a budget, we need to carefully allocate what dollars we have, not waste them.

Unless you want this team to be on the hook for paying a 3rd liner 3.1M, 3.4M, 4M, 4.25M for the next 4 seasons, then Olesz needs to be bought out. Unless Olesz finally "matures" like we've been waiting for him to do for several years, then I don't see why he should remain part of this team.
Your argument is valid in why we should trade him etc. uncontroverted. My objection is characterizing him as a "horrible player" becasue of value. He is what he is irrelevant to his salary. Whether he FITS is your argument, which i concur.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote