View Single Post
Old
09-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
So, a goalie on a hot streak bringing a fringe playoff team through two seven-game series and then getting destroyed in the ECF is an example of a contender?

...It is? Then why has pretty much no fan-base or analyst taken the Sabres as a serious Cup threat the last few years and why are many people claiming that the Sabres will be a lower seed, at best?The forward and defense group for Montreal is arguably better then Buffalo's right now and Buffalo obviously has the better goalie. Bringing up a fringe playoff team that hasn't done jack **** in the last few years in the playoffs to prove that Buffalo is a serious threat isn't the wisest idea

The forward and defense group for Montreal is arguably better then Buffalo's right now and Buffalo obviously has the better goalie. Bringing up a fringe playoff team that hasn't done jack **** in the last few years in the playoffs to prove that Buffalo is a serious threat isn't the wisest idea.
That hot goalie took out the best team in league + defending champs and had his team 3 wins away from an unexpected appearance in finals.

Yes any team that makes the playoffs can be a viewed as a contender in Habs case they went farther then 13 other teams.

Quote:
Show me legitimate reasons why the Sabres are a legitimate threat. Go on.
- Balanced lineup
- Solid D
- An elite goalie
- A vet coach with years of experience including a run to Finals + several Conf finals appearances

They can beat anyone in a 7 game series

Quote:
It would be laughable to claim that the Flyers aren't a playoff threat considering that they're as close to being a lock for the playoffs as you can get. Pretty sure most people acknowledge that we're a Cup threat and would be instant Cup favorites if we swapped out Boucher or Leighton for a decent starter.

Personally, I don't see us having a realistic shot at winning the Cup if we don't fix our goalie situation by the time the playoffs roll around. However, I'll be amazed if the goalie situation isn't resolved by then.
The Flyers were a heavy favorite and lock to make playoffs and nearly didn't make the playoffs this past year

A few injuries to key dman/forwards and the Flyers are in trouble. (Same as most teams in league)

Your GM seems happy with Leighton/Boucher tandem ,,,,, Hasn't shown any real desire to improve the goalie position so why would you expect any changes?

Quote:
Let me ask you this. Is there any one player on the Sabres that you can realistically swap out for another player in the league that would instantly make them Cup favorites? Because the Flyers are only one swap away from being Cup favorites. Considering that we already have two promising goalies in our system ready to challenge to take over if necessary, it shouldn't be hard finding a replacement if our GM wishes to find one.
Not one player to make them cup favorites but if the Sabres were to acquire a PMD like Kaberle I think there team would be much more effective and dangerous

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote