View Single Post
Old
09-22-2010, 04:41 PM
HighOFFHockey

vCash: 500
Grades from Preseason GAME 1

My opinion from game one. I know that it's early, but I'm very excited. The grade relates to stats, ice time, and improvement over last season.

|-Fowards-|
Jeff Carter: B+; Carter was flying out there but he was -2. He looks all healed up and looking ahead for a great season

Darrol Powe: B-; Played well enough to prove he still has a role on this team and shows that he can still fore-check very well. The goal was also nice to see.

Claude Giroux: A-; The kid looks flat out lightning. The hands are even more dynamic than last season and looks to be continuing to progress. IS the most talented offensive player on this team.

Nikolai Zherdev: B-; Showed several signs of elite offensive skill, but does not back-check hard enough. Also he looked a bit out of place and miss communication, but I assume that is because he is new. All in all I image in he will be a great weapon for this team as the season progresses.

JVR: A-; No points in the game, but that boy looks like a man now. Out muscling opponents, taking the puck to the net, drawing penalties, and taking heavy shots from outside the hash marks. I think we are about to see a player that might make Chicago say "Maybe we should of taken JVR instead?" Look for him to play on the top line this year.

Mike Richards: A; Preseason for Mike Richards seems more like a backyard game. When he wanted to, he dominated, when he didn't he played well. I think Richards has hit that next level. He was very poised and I expect he will get better by game 1.

Andreas Nodl: B+; Nodl had a very strong game. It is only preseason, but he looked like a veteran out there. Poised and energetic Nodl is ready for the NHL. I suspect He will be a Flyer by seasons end allowing for someone to be traded. He will prove a lot of naysayers wrong this year.

Danny Briere: A; Again his confidence is sky high and will most likely lead this team in points this year. I saw moments of greatness and his goal was fantastic. Look for who ever plays with him to have a big season

Bill Guerin: C; Showed his age. Looked like he really he found a home on this team, but I don't think its on the ice. He was outplayed by every other Flyer forward. Could not keep up with JVR and Briere. I suspect Guerin will get cut, but get offered a job with the club.

Jody Shelly: B-; Did what he was there to do an played hard. He will be a great enforcer for this team, but not much more. A big upgrade over Cote.

Ben Holmstrom: B; I really liked what I saw from this kid. Rarely beaten along the boards and showed very good signs of being a two way forward. I suspect another Darrol Powe, only with less tenacity and more skill.

Ian Laperriere: A; Played excellent, still dropping down in front of shots in the preseason. His heart is something that should be bottled and force fed to the rest of the team

|-Defense-|
Kimmo Timonen: B+; Made a few mistakes out there, but was still the best D-Man in that game. He will continue to be the go to man behind Pronger.

Braydon Coburn: B; Showed signs of awesomeness, but also made a few bad decisions. One bad turnover in particular that led to a goal. I suspect that this will not happen for Coburn as he had an excellent playoff run.

Andrej Meszros: B-; Didn't show enough in the game to really impress me, but again I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because he's new.

Matt Walker: C; Lost his fight, but had some moments of hustle. Still I'm not impressed, reminds me of Jim Vandermeer

Season O'Donnell: B; Looked calm and poised, but also a bit slow. I image he will grow on me and will be a type of player that well come up with some great penalty killing.

Oskars Bartulis: C+; Didn't notice him much, but i did see him have one nice shot on net. Aside from that it remains to be seen whether he is ready to take over Walkers spot.

|-Goaltending-|
Michael Leighton:B-; Started off well, but gave up fat rebounds that led to some goals. I will however say that he was left high and dry in the second, but he did not do his part.

Sergei Bobrovsky: A; The kid is flat out a talent. The best goalie I've seen in a flyer uniform on there first day performance. I felt very comfortable with him in net and he is much quicker that any other goalie we have. I believe he will start on the Phantoms this year, but only for cap reasons. Homer has been brilliant in acquire prospects without any draft picks. I think we will see some other prospects worth mentioning by the end of camp.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote