View Single Post
Old
09-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Beukeboom Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Again you absolutely CANNOT separate the hockey player from their pay in the new NHL with a salary cap. All GMs do that now so we also should really.

And I would also disagree with you that paying him $2-2.5 million for what he provides is still overpayment. Look at what Higgins got ($1.6M) and thats what I would feel is acceptable for Olesz's production level. Anything over that and I think you can find someone cheaper to provide the same abilities.

And I would say that it's even more important to evaluate contacts when a team is operating below the salary cap. Teams with internal budgets have to be that much smarter and REALLY can't afford to handicap themselves by having a guy who is probably payed about TRIPLE what his production actually warrants.

I was honestly an Olesz fan, but at 24 & with 300+ NHL games WYSIWYG in my opinion. That being said - he's not "garbage". He's a legit NHL'er in a 3rd/4th line role. I honestly would like to see what he could do a team with a little more talent on the lower lines.

Last edited by Beukeboom Fan: 09-23-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote