View Single Post
Old
04-27-2005, 01:35 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
I actually have to agree with the sentiment that despite quantity, Montreal is not that strong at center with Koivu, Ribeiro, Bonk and Bulis. I'm not sure the poster's intention was to suggest that Chris Gratton was a panacea for Montreal's center issues, but rather to make the point that the center position on the Habs could use work.

I think the addition of Radek Bonk helps, myself, as I have always thought him underrated. Yet a top-two of Koivu and Ribeiro does not a viable contender make... and I realize that is rarely a popular sentiment. Trite though it sometimes may be, you do look for more size than that at center, and Koivu does have a tendency to end up on the IR for 20 games a year. Kyle Chipchura should help, but he is a few years from prime time. Another center would help, though I'm not sure Gratton is it. I've a soft spot for the Habs and think the world of Bob Gainey, but they are a work in progress with that center situation.
Good post...

Although I couldn't be happier with our situation at center, Koivu, Ribeiro, Bonk and Begin (Bulis doesn't play center) is fine with me

Bonk could probably play 2nd line center on alot of teams in the league...
Koivu if healthy, is a legit # 1 center in the league....
Ribeiro, say what you want about him, but he's if able to put up similar numbers to last year, we'll be more than set...
Begin is an ideal 4th center...

The key here is 2 things...Koivu's health, and Ribeiro's progression, if Habs get both of those, yes, they are very deep at center...at least IMO