View Single Post
Old
04-27-2005, 01:44 PM
dedalus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
while yes, people pay for entertainment, there is difference between watching the best in the world and those who would not be allowed anywhere near a ring without a ticket.
You mean of course "not allowed near an NHL rink." Replacement players would most certainly be pros, prospects, and high-caliber amateurs. You might conceivably argue that no one would pay to watch you skate (although I'd argue that we could get money from family, friends, and well-wishers), but you will never be wearing the Ranger sweater - even as a replacement. Ultimately people prove every day that they do not have to watch "the best in the world" when they purchase tickets to other teams in other leagues. They will indeed pay for a lesser product and that cannot be argued - it is fact. However, they will not pay the same price, and the NHL would have to account for that.

As for the "sheep" & "insult" stuff, if you know what you're getting when you buy your ticket, the first of these doesn't hold up. If they lied to you, took your money, and left you standing impotent when you realized the truth about the product, you might have a case. But we all know what they'll be selling, and although they'll try to market it well, no owner would attempt to say he's giving you the same talent.

The second ("insult") doesn't hold so long as the ticket price reflects the value of the product. Actually, even if it doesn't reflect the value of the product, I still don't understand the sensibility that I've been insulted because someone wants to overcharge me. I don't get offended or feel insulted by The Sharper Image; I simply don't shop there. (Although I confess that I sometimes feel smug that someone would pay half again for something I could get elsewhere. )