View Single Post
Old
04-27-2005, 01:46 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
Again, I think the point is less that the Canadiens need Gratton as much as they need outside help at center.

Not that addressing scoring line-center is ever easy, but I'd look for a big-ticket center before I rush to sign a big-ticket winger like Kovalev for my extra $4-5M laying around. That's the area in which the Canadiens could use help, in my opinion. Presence, production and size. Knocking Koivu down to the second line would make a world of difference. I think you try to groom your youth on the wings.
the problem with that is - what do you do with Ribeiro?

the only choice the Habs will really have is to move him - and then basically take what the market offers.

Ribeiro won't be successful on the 3rd/4th lines - I think all Habs fans will agree with this. That's just not his game. He doesn't help the Habs, and he only hurts his own value in the process. I don't see the Habs taking the risk of just losing him to go after a big ticket center (especially considering that big ticket wingers will be a lot easier/cheaper to get, considering the UFA market).

With what they have, they're not one of the top center groups in the league, but IMO they're a very servicable group - which is better than what a lot of top teams have been successful with in the playoffs (compare this group to what Calgary had for example).... I think the bigger worry is if these guys can all stay healthy for a full season - if they're all there, then I would worry much more about plugging the wing than replacing one of them at center.