View Single Post
Old
09-23-2010, 09:15 PM
KWGoon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
it's a LOT different. that's an incredibly simplistic explanation. players are assets - they represent a ton of investment from the time they're scouted, to their selection, to their development. and no two players take the same path.

this really cuts to the core of your argument. there's no doubt rusty has failed to live up to fans and the organization's expectations. he's not, however, a temp or someone you've hired from the classifieds. he needs to pick it up in order to come close to justifying his salary but he's still young and that is still a possibility. i grant you that even in this business, you have to cut your losses at a point. i'm guessing if it was a financial advantageous to do so, it would've been done already but it hasn't, so he's here. as long as he's here, let's root for the kid to at least contribute. it's senseless to continue to beat him up and blame him for everything.

fwiw, your analogy fails at every level in the league. guys sign multi-year contracts and then fail to get the job done all the time. the core of most teams are locked into contracts regardless of production and they aren't getting canned every time they fail to meet their goals. it's just not how it works.
Rodney King is that you? Can't we all just get along?

Tough words are not easy to take, but fact is Erick is way closer to the truth than you are. You can feel sorry for Olesz, but that's another matter altogether. Being sorry for him doesn't make him a better player.

Olesz' lack of production hasn't made him into just another invisible player. As the 5th highest paid player on the team he makes almost 8% of the total team salary. One guy represents 4% of the roster. So he's failing by a factor of two, the most spectacular failure on the team, and that's saying something with McCabe on the payroll at $5M+.

I do agree with you one one thing though, but that's about it. I'm rooting for Olesz to prove everyone wrong this season. In a spectacular fashion.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote