Old
09-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Rattrick

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Few observations...

Gudbranson was one of the best players on the ice. He looked incredibly comfortable. He made two strong outlet passes. One led to a breakaway, the other should have. It doesn't look like he needs any more time in juniors.

Plante was spectacular. 3 awesome saves. There's no guarantee that Markstrom is even 3 on the depth chart. It'll be a battle.

Ellerby was pretty awful, other than his nice hit on Lucic. He barely saw the ice in the first 2 periods. He tried to skate around someone in the defensive zone and nearly caused a breakaway. Played more in the third, but had an absolutely awful turnover right in the slot that directly lead to Boston's second goal. He may have bulked up, but he still turns the puck over.
Quote:
I said there's no guarantee, and there isn't. We'll see how Markstrom does in real action. It amazes me how people hype these prospects up before they ever play a professional game in North America. For now, Plante played an amazing game tonight and finished last season very strong.

As for Ellerby, he's a trainwreck defensively and one of my most disliked players in a long time. I tried to go in with an open mind tonight, but his turnover was just flat out bad.
Quote:
I watched Ellerby play nearly 70 games last season. I'm not going to be told I'm wrong. He IS terrible defensively and any Amerk fan who watched him last season would tell you the same. And he continued it tonight with a terrible turnover right in the slot.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying. Ellerby shouldn't be given a pass based on draft position. He's obviously not the most well received player by the coaching staff either, so they see things they don't like as he hasn't been given the ice time.

I will say though, he hasn't looked terrible when I've seen him play in camp or in the NHL. Not as bad as you describe in the AHL. Similar to Matthias, so some players just do better in the NHL. Could be a motivation issue, but it does happen.

With regards to Markstrom, I agree that he needs to learn the NA game, but aside from that, I think he has proven enough in the SEL and International play. I'm not one of the overhypers by any means, but I want him to learn the NA game and work his way up.

Also agree that Plante is underrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
During the live chat on GR's blog, he mentioned that he thinks the team wants to extend McCabe albeit at a discounted rate and apparently the feeling is mutual about extending. I kinda hope thats not true as the Panthers could really use an upgrade on an aging McCabe at this point.
I pretty much agree. Unless he comes at a REALLY discounted rate of $3 million or so, I don't see it being worth it.