View Single Post
Old
09-24-2010, 01:53 PM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
That is just plain silly on your part my friend, Been a Flyers fan since 1967, grew up there etc.I played Goalie for years, and have also watched and played hockey over in Europe during my 20 years in the military [USAF].I know enough about goal tending to know a good goalie when i see one, and after watching a few tapes of this cat i can see he has tremendous fundamentals and great net presence etc that your typical MINORS rookie don't have.
My original post simply says to give this cat a legit shot to make our club.He may very well prove not to be ready and indeed may need to go to the AHL affiliate, BUT i like what i have seen of him,and his lateral motion alone is SUPERIOR to anyone we have in my opinion.I do not dislike Leighton, or Boosh etc, but i see things in this cat that i think warrant he getting a GOOD THOROUGH look during pre season.Again, forget about the ROOKIE status and enough of that " he needs to get use to the NHL players and game etc " nonsense.....They might need to get use to him and his game and figure him out ! Ever think about it that way ? I can see exactly why he is here,and i can see what the upper management see in him by just watching the videos i have looked at....I like him !
Dude, we all like him.

We're not saying he needs time to adjust to the NHL players and game just for the sake of saying it or nitpicking. We're saying it because he's demonstrated a few things that are giving him problems now and most definitely will in a regular season setting. And according to Jeff Reese, it's something they're definitely seeing in practice too.

We all also want to see more of him in preseason, but the fact of the matter is that making the team isn't necessarily in his best interest right now. We'll see as camp progresses, but right now he needs to learn when to play big. Fluid and speedy lateral motion alone isn't enough. It's a huge asset that nobody else on our depth chart has, but it's not the only part of goaltending. I've been a goalie for years, too, and as an experienced 'tender surely you have to acknowledge that lateral motion is huge, but playing big - especially in traffic (which is huge in the NHL) - is equally if not more important.

Lateral motion helps you when you're out of position or tracking a quick play side-side. Being big and keeping your hands in the right spot helps you when the shot's coming straight on, which is more common. BoboCop is listed at 6'2", but he has that super low stance that makes him smaller in the net than he really is. He's going to have to adjust his game to make sure that he either a) plays bigger, or b) learns to keep his hands up to compensate.

He definitely has the talent and attitude to be a very good goalie in this league, but I really think you're overrating his readiness.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote