Thread: Confirmed with Link: Wade Redden assigned to HFD
View Single Post
Old
09-25-2010, 11:59 AM
jniklast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
This was a decision that had to be made by Sather to clear the cap room and actually get under the salary cap. I still believe Redden is one of the top 6 NHL defenseman on this roster but his HUGE cap hit did not justify Redden on this team.

I hope Redden all the best.. He had a heck of an NHL career with a few All Star appearances. He was a true professional. It is a shame it had to be done this way but this is a business.

and all of a sudden.... The Rangers are under the cap thanks to the deep pockets of MSG and the Dolans. Sather is very lucky this move could have been made by management.
Maybe he still is, however even if he had a decent contract it would probably be a decision between him and Gilroy who would be waved. It looks like at least one prospect is ready and should play in the NHL. That is best for the organization and thus room has to be made. Considering our lack of offensive d-men (only MDZ really) Gilroy's chances wouldn't be that bad even then I'd say.

So it's really not only because of his cap hit that he gets sent down, but also because he really is a borderline NHL defenseman at this point in his career.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote