View Single Post
Old
09-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer View Post
Seriously?

Guerin, playing on the top line in Pittsburgh with Crosby, with much more opportunity to produce in a scoring role, and you're comparing his 5 on 5 numbers to Hartnell, Giroux and Leino?

You're comparing apples to oranges in terms of quality of ice time and you know it. Why not put him against players in comparable situations for fairness?
No, I'm comparing NHL players on NHL surfaces in similar men-on-ice scenarios. If you want to get into the more derivative statistics like QUALTEAM that's fine, and playing with Crosby is certainly a boon to him. However, your complaint has been that Carcillo scored more even strength goals than him as if this was some major indictment of Guerin.

Carcillo scored at a higher clip at even strength than a lot of players I deem significantly more talented than him. Hell, Darroll Powe had a higher rate of scoring at even strength than Carcillo... and Carcillo definitely has better hands than Powe.

Quote:
Wondeful. I was just thinking that we need help on the PP.
If we have injuries, we might.

Quote:
I'm curious Jester, how many times did you watch Guerin last year?

You can break down all the stats you want, and even skew them and compare players who weren't at all in the same advantageous position as Guerin, but I know what I saw with my own eyes 68 times last year, and it wasn't pretty regarding good old Billy.
Every Flyers game, and the majority of their national televised and playoff games that didn't conflict with the Flyers.

And there's ZERO skewing of statistics being done on my part. I'm providing the stats without any alteration whatsoever. Bill Guerin scored 0.60 goals/60 minutes at even strength. Empirical fact. Bill Guerin scored 2.00 goals/60 minutes (best on the team) on the 5-on-4 PP last year. Empirical fact. If anyone is skewing his numbers, it's the haters with the "oh but he didn't score enough with Crosby stuff."

I'll ask you, what would have been enough? 30 goals? 40 goals?

Now, he may be washed up, and may not be a good choice for the Flyers... but the disparagement of his offensive production last year is fantasy world stuff. He isn't coming in here to be one of our top wings (as was the case with the Pens), he's here to be a depth wing and provide a little bit of punch that we wouldn't get from other guys.

He's replacing Aaron Asham on the roster (assuming he signs).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote