View Single Post
Old
09-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
So, to be clear. Your argument is that even strength play is not even strength play.
You know what my argument is, but you can continue to dance around it if you want.

Quote:
QUALTEAM and QUALCOMP are a whole different discussion, that complicate the numbers considerably, sure. However, 5-on-5 play is similar to 5-on-5 play regardless of who you are playing with... there are, ya know, 5 skaters for each team and 1 goalie each.
It complicates the numbers considerably because it puts them into proper context, but you already know this. You're far too intelligent not to realize that 5-on-5 play is not the same for every player, and the context of the stats are altered greatly by who they line up with and against.

Quote:
Carcillo scored more even strength goals than Giroux, should we dump his ass? ****, Carcillo was more effective as a linemate to Gagne and Richards than Giroux.
Context. We aren't talking about replacing Giroux with Guerin for obvious reasons that any monkey can figure out with or without stats.

When the player you are looking to replace in the top-9 (Carcillo), has scored more even strength goals than the player you are looking to replace him with (Guerin), and has done so with less ice time and not attached to Crosby's hip, how is that an upgrade?

Quote:
Carcillo scoring more even strength goals does not equate to a blanket indictment of Guerin's play. Sorry. And if it does, you're going to have to start hating on a lot of other players you probably don't want to hate on.
My blanket indictment of Guerin's play comes from watching a **** load of games over the past year, and given that I generally agree with your player assessments, I find it hard to believe you have watched Guerin more than a handful of times over that same period and are endorsing his addition to this hockey team.

The fact that Carcillo did score more even strength goals than Guerin surely furthers the indictment that I formed from seeing Billy with my own two eyes. And even if you consider Guerin an "offensive uprgade" to Carcillo, do tell, what other areas of his game help the Flyers at even strength?

Quote:
No I'm not. I actually specifically stated that Crosby would be an advantage to him if you wanted to compare QUALTEAM. You are trying to take a specific statistic (goals/60 at even strength) and analyze it with another statistic in mind (QUALTEAM). That's fine, and you can do that... but it doesn't take away from the fact that he produced X goals per 60 minutes, and that's better than some players currently on this roster.
Well hell, why wouldn't one want to put the numbers into ****ing context?

It's like taking a prospect who played in one NHL game, having him score 2 goals in 10 minutes, and saying he produced more goals per 60 minutes of ice time than the whole ****ing league.

Numbers, without context, are quite simply meaningless.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote