View Single Post
Old
04-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey
Because you're comparing Yashin "pre-10-year-contract" to Koivu and hasn't it been 2 years since Peca's injury?
Yashin was on pace for 65 and 59 points in the past 2 years, his production has been worse than Koivu's. I'm not arguing that the talent isn't there, as a Sens fan I saw Yashin's 94 points season up close but his production has dwindled ever since to the point where Koivu has been putting up better numbers (71 & 66 pace).

The difference in production between Peca and Ribeiro is huge, 25pts. That's why I put them on equal footing.
I firmly believe that at the height of their game New York's group is on par or better than Montreal but I feel the play of Peca and Yashin has seriously fallen over the past 2 seasons.
Post 10-year contract, Yashin hit the ice with 32 goals and about 70 points. Koviu has never touched 30 goals.

Yashin folllowed that up with a horrible year, but still managed more goals than Koivu's career best. Pro-rating last year's performance is sort of irrelevant, since Yashin was recovering from major surgery.

Last season was Peca's first post-surgery full season. And, yeah, 25 points is a big deal. But, Peca's typical performance is in the 50 point range. I'd take Peca's 50 over Ribero's 65 any day of the week. In fact, I'd probably take Peca's 30 - 40 points over Ribero's 65. No team is going to win with a player as soft as Ribero in a key role.

The only comparison where I think you have a good case is Bonk vs. Scatch. Bonk is the much better player overall. But, even then, I'm not sure he is going to make a better third line center. Then again, I don't think Ribero is going to repeat, and I suspect Bonk will be playing in your top six before the end of the season.