View Single Post
Old
04-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Darth Milbury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey
You're purposefully ignoring Koivu's higher assist totals, Oates never was a goalscorer but that didn't make his career less worthwhile than Bondra's. Koivu's production beats Yashin's when assists are factored in, he's therefore been more productive over the past 2 years. What's Yashin's excuse, is it cancer? No that was Koivu's. Koivu's not been seriously hurt since that rehab (which gave him a lot of time to improve his conditioning) and nothing says that will change.

I've seen Ribeiro take hits for plays, I've seen Mogilny disappear for entire seasons and I think it's unfair to think the Habs can't be successful with Ribeiro. Colorado won with Kamensky and Kovalenko, Detroit had Kozlov...
Yashin was out most of last season with a major injury. He had surgery, and then came back very slowly and did not even take a regular shift. Using last season as a point of comparison is pretty silly. That would be like me saying that Pronger is a poor dman because he did not play well in the few games he was healthy two seasons ago.

Yashin's career high in assists is 50. He has 8 seasons with 39 assists. Koivu's career high in assists is also 50. He has only 4 seasons with 39 assists. I don't see this great difference in playmaking ability you are talking about. In Yashin's first season on the Island, he had 43 assists, which was close to Koivu's best.

Comparing Oates and Koivu is ridiculous. Oates was primarily a playmaker, but he was also a consistent 20 - 30 goal scorer, and had one 40 goal season. Koivu basically had third line numbers last year, in terms of goals scored. Oates had acceptable performance with regard to goals scored. Koivu's performance, given the icetime and the sort of situations that he was used in, was basically pathetic.

Yashin didn't take a regular shift last season (because of injuries) and he did not dress in nearly half of the Isles games. In some games, the Isles didn't left him on the ice except for powerplay shifts. Yet, he managed to score more goals than Koivu.

Colorado won with Kamensky and Kovalenko in SECONDARY ROLES, Detroit had Kozlov in a similar role. Ribero was your most effective center last year. Having a softie like him in a key role is bad news. And, for that reason, I feel confident the Habs will dump Ribero as soon as they can.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 04-28-2005 at 07:51 PM.