View Single Post
Old
04-28-2005, 11:30 PM
Quiet Robert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I agree with you completely. I think he is a heck of a playmaker, and I admire his spirt and grit. I though his 70 point performance a year or so back was inspirational - to say the least.

What I don't care for is the way some Hab fans make him out to be a superstar - he is not. I like Koivu a lot - I just don't think he is at the level that some suggest. And, to be quite honest, I don't really see him as a true #1 center. I think he'd be better off as a #2 - hopefully with some big goal scoring wingers.
I agree he's not a superstar but I think a lot of Habs fans look back to the 1996-97 and think maybe he could have been one. In that season he was right there with Peter Forsberg for the scoring lead before his injury. I think it was knee injury but I don't remember exactly what it was. All I remember is that he was in the top 3 in league scoring and was averaging over a PPG in his second year in the league. He hasen't been able to regain that form since that injury.

I think he's an incredibly skilled player and he's really an inspirational player as well. What he did in beating cancer and then helping the team win in the first round was truly amazing. It raised his status incredibly in Montreal.

But I agree, he's not a superstar. I think when he's healthy though, he's a solid 1st line guy who has star potential. I agree he needs some scoring wingers. If he had that and he played a full year, 75+ points wouldn't be out of the question, which is very good for a first line guy. I think maybe 4 years or so down the road he'll be a good second line guy, but right now he just turned 30 and I think he could still be an effective 1st line guy.