View Single Post
Old
09-27-2010, 07:12 PM
IAMCANADIAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Out of the season, I'd go with playing other sports. In season, simple bodyweight exercises like pushups, pullups, bodyweight squats, crunches, dips, etc can all help and aren't too much for a younger kid (not stressing the joints).

5'11 165 at 12, man...when I was 12 I was "big" at 5'6 150 and the coaches loved it.

Yeah it has it's good and bad points. He's given ALOT of room on the ice and is usually paired with a smaller center/winger. It creates ALOT more ice for them to move as well.

Checking is another story. When he goes to check someone (sometimes) they'll bail and leave the puck there for him .. so his checking ability has come along slower than if he were smaller.

Penalties ... the good old 2 minutes for being too big call! When his does check another kid along the boards you usually hear it and notice the other laid out ... some referees have been giving out roughing penalties.

Like I've said NUMEROUS times before ... I'm not saying he's a superstar ... he just happens to be freaky big for his age!

IAMCANADIAN is offline   Reply With Quote