Thread: Salary Cap: Meech's Injury / Roster Status
View Single Post
Old
09-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
That would mean that if they have to keep him, he won't count as one of 23 but he will count against the cap. Doesn't address the "Do they have to keep him?" issue though.

Read Articles 13.5, 13.6, and 13.9. I'm 99% certain that Meech having cleared waivers is no longer part of the Wings Active Roster. The waiver does expire after 30 days or 10 NHL games IF the player isn't assigned to any other league.

13.6 deals specifically with Injury sustained during Training Camp:

Quote:
A Player who is otherwise required to clear Regular Waivers who is injured during Training Camp must clear Regular Waivers if he remains on the NHL roster for 30 days during his injury or if he plays ten NHL Games before being Loaned to a minor league club.

The Player's injured days on the roster and NHL Games played following such injury count towards the Waiver expiration provision of Section 13.5.

Since Meech was waived, I don't see that 13.6 applies. 13.5 deals with Waiver Expiration, basically saying if he hasn't been loaned to a minor club OR is recalled (which Meech was not), except for emergency recall; and remains on the NHL roster for 30 days or plays ten games.......the waiver expires after he has cleared.

Therefore, I don't think they are stuck with him due to the injury since he was waived prior to the injury being sustained.