View Single Post
Old
04-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59
Please explain: what history are you refering to? The Blues have never traded away a "star" player and our history with "Star" players indicates that we would let Pronger walk as a UFA(like the Hull and Turgeon cases) or lock him up long term(like we did with MacInnis, Tkachuk and Weight). The Blues have never been a team to sell off their high paid players, they are more likely to trade away our entire farm system to aquire an over the Hill "Star" at the TD.
According to Forbes, the Blues lost more money than any team in the NHL last year. The amount they lost was staggering in fact. As a result, management responded by slashing payroll as much as possible. And, in fact, at least one "star" player (or at least one of St. Louis' better players) was allowed to walk for nothing - Demitra. Another solid player - Stillman - was essentially let go for next to nothing. This is not the high spending St. Louis team of the past - this is a team that is going to pinch pennies and do what it has to do avoid swimming in red ink.

I don't think it is at all likely, in the present economic climate, that St. Louis locks Pronger up to the type of contract he'll want (even post CBA).

My personal bet: He'll hit UFA status, and then wind up in a major market like New Yawk or Philly.

Also, I'm not sure what you meant by the "Blues have never traded away star players" - but there were lots of deals like that in the past: Gilmour, CuJo, Shanahan, Scott Stevens. Adam Oates.