Thread: Confirmed with Link: Wade Redden assigned to HFD
View Single Post
Old
09-29-2010, 05:47 PM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Redden was doomed because he couldn't live up to the hype around his signing and the expectations most fans would have of a player making that much money. IMO you can't overlook a players contract in these cap times when assessing that player. I know there is another philosophy built around the idea that Redden earned his contract all those years he played for Ottawa just as Drury earned his contract all those years playing for Buffalo which basically about market correction. If they fail their expectations they'll pay for it next time they're up for a contract. That was all well and good pre-cap in those days of sky's the limit spending.

I don't really care all that much when the fans start jumping on somebody--sure they're not always fair but generally their instincts are very good or at least better than some of the management we've had. Players who don't respond positively to criticism or booing might be too fragile anyway and better off somewhere else. I'm trying to think who the fans weren't happy with in '94? I can't think of anyone. Put a good team on the ice and they seem to give the team more love.
It was never Redden's fault for stealing money from an imbecile. If Sather offered you 6 million a year and you knew you couldn't skate, you'd still take. Everyone would. The anger in this thread is directed at the wrong guy, as usual.

You're right, if the team has a legit shot of winning it all, fans will back off a bit, because there is no need for a lightning rod when things are great, but I remember some very good teams through the years that still had players that constantly got rode. Inevitably, they were defensemen. Fans hate non-physical dmen unless they are really good otherwise.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote