View Single Post
Old
09-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Fair enough, but his time on the PK doesn't necessarily mean he's an inferior penalty killer to Eaves or Helm.

If I'm Detroit, I'd rather Helm and Eaves kill penalties, if they're competent, than Datsyuk. Minutes are key, especially in the regular season, and I don't want to have my best player logging too many minutes penalty killing.

I believe that Richards is a better penalty killer than Betts, but I'd much rather have Betts log more time on the PK. Jeff Carter is a decent penalty killer, too, but the addition of Betts reduced Carter's PK time... and I'm happy about that.
That's fine, but I don't think we should make assumptions about how a player would do if given more time.

To be a top PKer, one should presumably spend a significant amount of time there, if we want a reasonable sample size to go on. But the truth is that Datsyuk has never been more than the #5 option among forwards on the penalty kill for the Wings. That's 2 whole two-man units ahead of him, even in his most prolific PK season.

He's a great defensive player, and he's the best takeaway artist in the game. What he's not is a top PK forward.

As for the rest of this thread concerning Corsi and ES production etc....I'm not sure how that applies to one's PK ability. Things look like they've gotten a little off the tracks.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote