Thread: Rumor: Steve zipay twitter
View Single Post
Old
09-30-2010, 06:16 AM
UAGoalieGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Plus, Prospal, Christensen and Boogaard.
A lot of options are a good thing, right? lol I think the log-jam in your scenario is caused (Which is not a bad thing) by Stepan making the team and the possibility of trading for a center like Weiss. If the Rangers wanted Stepan to get first line minutes in Hartford, then the roster could look like:

Frolov - Weiss - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Prospal - Drury - Feds
Avery - Boyle - Prust
Boogard

Christiansen would be waiver wire if the Rangers did not use him in a top six role.

Quote:
I tend to agree. It's exactly what the problem is. No way in heck do I think that Weiss is worth Dubinsky + a 1st and a 3rd (for example). We already have Stepan making a strong bid to crack the lineup - Weiss would be totally redundant, if not this year then next.
If it was similar to the Horton deal, that young NHL player probably would not be Dubinsky. Widemann was coming off a sub-par year (30pts vs 50 pts / -14 last year). Dubinsky play has been elevating the last couple of years in production and overall play. I can see them taking some combo of Grachev, Gilroy, a 1st, and/or a mid-range prospect or pick, or it could cost Dubinsky.

It all depends on what the market is for a player like Weiss right now. Is there a lot of demand for him? Do the Panthers really want to move him out?

As for Weiss being redundant with the development of Stepan, I think that if the Rangers are really looking for a #1 center, then they want to give Stepan a year in Hartford to play first line minutes. Then next season I could see them bringing him along slowly at the NHL level, a la Anisimov, possibly centering the 3rd line. Then entering year three, Weiss would be in the last year of his contract.

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote