View Single Post
Old
10-04-2003, 01:08 PM
habsfansam

vCash: 500
Dont Rush Plekanec

I absolutely love Tomas Plekanec, but he needs another year in the minor leagues to round out his game a little, and to mature (he's still young). In the AHL he's got all the skill to top 70 points and get tons of icetime and the pressure of the press isn't so great (Mmmmm... fresh meat!!)

I think that Ryder is also somewhat on the bubble: though he has been good at the end of last season, and in preseason, i'd bet that the habs will send him down. I'd bet BG waits, looking for consistent performance through the first several months in the AHL, or until we clear out some of our NHL forwards

As for Higgins, i'd also love to see him play at least 1 full season in the AHL (without being called up for any of the time). The guy has only played about 30games per season until now, and personally i think that playing in the minors develops drive and motivation. Keeping a skilled, young nucleus in Hamilton will give those kids a stable base to develop as players and team-mates.

Actually, as a side thought, i think it's also fiscally a good idea to keep young players in the minors for a few years... so often young 1st & 2nd rounders sign huge contracts, and think that they are worth 4 million a year (because they were amazing in junior) and that anything less is an insult. I think that minor-league life develops players that understand the value of money and team... it seems to work in New Jersey though that could just be Lou being stingy??

I'm also with Plekanec on the Centre rating:
Koivu
Perrault (if he had wingers or dmen that would pot the puck when he won offensive zone faceoffs, i think we'd rate him better than we do)
Ribiero (glad to see he's fighting hard this year... that line looks good)
Juneau
Gratton
Plekanec
Higgins

with all these guys at center, i don't think we'll ever see Hossa back at center... it's a shame, i'd love to see how he'd do playing his natural position.