View Single Post
09-30-2010, 07:17 PM
It's a wolf v2.0
vCash: 50
Originally Posted by Copeland View Post
In your boat as well, 25 and have never played any sport before, although I'm not in San Diego (obviously lol). What I'm doing is learning to skate FIRST before I go anywhere near any pick-up hockey, and I'm taking ball hockey as well to learn the game without worrying about holding my own on the ice. I dunno if it's what you want to do, but it's one way to go about it. Guys I talked to recommended doing ball hockey to learn the motions and whatnot (not to mention conditioning...).

Of course, if you already know how to skate perfectly fine, just take a "learn to play hockey" class or something like that and by all means to go the stick & puck at a local rink.
Yeah I don't know if it's the optimal plan but this method worked pretty well for me. I played lots of ball hockey while in college, then afterwords when I was set up and ready to move into hockey I took a beginners power skating class first, from a guy who really knew how to skate and drilled the basics into you. Then I took the same class again while I got started in my first official beginners league/team, and it really gave me a leg up on the competition.

If you aren't really able to skate at all it's fine to get comfortable public skating, but it's another level entirely to learn how to hockey skate comfortably in full gear with a stick.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote