Thread: News Article: Top 10 PK Forwards
View Single Post
Old
10-01-2010, 08:07 AM
agrudez*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer Flip View Post
Pure horse ****. Staal's line is regularly used as a shut-down line against opposing teams' first or second lines when the matchup is possible.
If you happened to notice, he only listed defensemen. That is because a shutdown line is generally out to counter a top OFFENSIVE line (which is generally lesser defensively than other lines) for the other team, which then also counters with their lesser defensive unit while attempting to save their best for shutting down the other team's OFFENSIVE units.

So, in actuality, a true shutdown line plays again skilled offensive forwards, many of whom have poor defensive skills/senses of responsibility, and the other team's lesser defensemen (or offensively gifted defensemen if the team has them, which are often poor defensively).

The problem with this argument; however, is it does not necessarily mean it is easier to score on a shutdown line, because you also have to take into account the fact that they while they may be playing against lesser defensive players who are focusing on offensive production, the shutdown players themselves are devoting most of their focus to defensive roles and not to offense.

I think I proved both arguments wrong... does that mean I win?

Btw, for anyone arguing it, Jordan Staal, skill wise, is one of the most under appreciated players in the league (even if I wouldn't touch him in fantasy, )

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote