Thread: Proposal: We need a Top 4
View Single Post
Old
10-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Max Levine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
And what would people say to adding a big, mean, solid skating/positional dman, who is young, a leader, and available for only 700k more than we pay spacek? Oh, and he won't cost any assets and he likes playing in Montreal...

Would anyone say no?

Didn't think so...

Now let's hear again about how wise gainey was to let Komi walk and replace him with spacek :
You mean as a Leaf? Not only was he offered a very good contract by Gainey but Komisarek's comments at the end of that season made it sound like he'd rather play elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I think Gorges should be Markov's partner personally, because he doesn't need to be babysat and that would free Markov up to play without having to clean up messes like he had with, say, O'Byrne. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me to see Picard pick up O'B's #7 role. The only time O'B gets results that are any good is when he's with #79, but he only does so by acting as a boat anchor for Markov.

But if Gorges goes with Markov and creates a real top-4 pairing, someone else would need to haul Gill around, and I'm not sure it's fair to ask Subban to do that. And you want to take Gill out because, while his 5-on-5 effectiveness is entirely dependent on relaxed playoff officiating, he still is an hellacious penalty-killer.

In any case, the Hamrlik-Spacek pairing was probably the team's best all year and the only one that's definitely not likely to be a problem. I wonder if they'll break it up and go Markov-Spacek and Hamrlik-Subban though?
Gorges has shown in the past that he can be a great partner for Markov but you can't break up Gill-Gorges pairing at this point, especially considering that they are the #1 pair on PK.

Personally, I was hoping O'Byrne could replace Komi next to Markov. He's the stay-at-home D we would need. Unfortunately, he plays like his self-confidence can't get any higher.

I'm not sure we would lose Gill at the end of the season. Depending on his play this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he were offered a 1-year extension.

As for Spacek, we saw some good things from him last season and I feel he can bring much more than what he has shown so far. I expect Gauthier to find a replacement for Hamrlik next summer but as I mentioned elsewhere, I also wish he would trade for a young puck-moving defenseman prospect. With Subban, Gorges, Tinordi and someone like Colby Cohen or Stefan Elliott, our future would look much brighter.