Thread: Proposal: We need a Top 4
View Single Post
Old
10-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
You mean as a Leaf? Not only was he offered a very good contract by Gainey but Komisarek's comments at the end of that season made it sound like he'd rather play elsewhere.
yeah, that's not too surprising considering how we approached re-signing him.
Players are people, just with massive ego's...

not working out a contract before getting to free agency certainly impacted his feelings of loyalty to the club, and at that point, why wouldn't he go to the highest offer.
being offered a "very good contract" is not quite the same as being offered the highest salary.
Toronto outbid us, Gainey was convinced he could better spend the money elsewhere, we ended up with Spacek for 3 years @ 700K less...

if I'm building a team, i'd pay a little bit more for the young/improving guy than I would for the guy knocking on 40's door... or, put another way, If I have a softish team that's about to lose it's existing leadership core, I'd go with the young, brutish potential captain for 700K more than the softish, not outspoken old guy... but that's just me, and go figure, 1 year into it and were talking about how to replace the guy Gainey chose to go with...