View Single Post
Old
10-02-2010, 10:00 PM
haveandare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Ok, next time I will break it down a little more to make sure that the point is written out in detail because otherwise it's too much to expect some people to get it.

The point was: fans - of any team - confuse their hopes with reality. You hope that the team will get better in a few years, so you praise prospects and rookies. When someone throws some cold water on these ideas, you get mad because it is not what you want to hear.

Similarly, you hope that the team will perform well this year. This flies in face of the quality of the team's roster, but you confuse your hope with reality. When someone points out that the roster is largely the same and no major additions were made, you get mad because it is not what you want to hear.

I know, I know, analogies are very difficult and you feel the need to focus on the players rather than the underlying point (that being that fans confuse their hopes with reality, and get mad when someone points that out).

P.S. To say that no predictions can be made is BS. People make predictions all day long here. There whole threads on it. Nobody has a problem with predictions. The problem is only with predictions that the team will not perform as well as you hope.

When someone wrote a couple of days ago that the team has a reasonable shot at the #4 spot in the East, nobody had a problem with that prediction, nor did anyone except me object to the poster above who wrote that we'll gain 10-15 points this year.

People don't hate predictions. They just hate predictions that the team won't play well.
We're done here. If you can read that back to yourself (especially the bolded) and not see how this reeks of self-importance and is a perfect example of, as you say, "making statements about your superiority over the rest of humanity in a vain attempt to boost your self-esteem" there's absolutely nothing left to say.

We disagree strongly. That is all.

Weird that I somehow got an English degree with such little understanding of analogy. I should probably give that back.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote