Strong out of the gate - miss the playoffs
View Single Post
10-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Sent to HF Minors
Join Date: May 2007
1. Yes, I was aware that Joke was not around all year, but it wasn't as if he came here for nothing. He came in return for two serviceable, though struggling players. Again, the gap between Frolov and either Joke or Kovalik+Higgins does not equal another 5-8 wins. Even Frolov alone, if he came as an addition with no subtraction, does not equal turning 5-8 losses into wins.
2. I will ignore your argument re: Shelley not being here all year. Really... were you trying to say that an additional fourth liner, whether Shelley or Boo, will make a difference between a non-playoff team and one that has a competitive playoff run? No? Didn't think so. But then what's the point of mentioning it?
3. As for your argument that we will have hungry youth and vets with a long memory making them work harder than last year. This can be said of any non-playoff team or any team that lost in Game 7 of the playoffs. All bad teams (and most of the good teams) add some youth. Sometimes because the youth is ready, sometimes because their other option as a first line center is a recent waivers pick up. All teams that came close to making the playoffs or winning a playoff round could be said to have long memories. This means nothing.
We had vets barely make the playoff from 1998 to 2003, yet they never stepped up. No reason to hope that happens now, not anymore than we can expect of other teams.
3. Biron alone will give us 5-8 more wins this year? Really? Who can argue with that! In about 20 games, he will turn 5-8 would-be losses into wins? So about a third of the games he'll play, he'll steal a victory for us? How's he the backup then? Bench Lundqvist and let Biron play. Lundqvist sure does not steal a third of the games for us.
4. "We have Dubi on a mission. We have Cally on a mission. We have Avery on a mission."
And last year they were on vacation?
5. "Would I post "I eat crow" if I was wrong and you were right? You bet your ass I would. I would do that and more. Why? Cause like I said; I have integrity."
Last October I wrote the same thing about the Rangers: they will either fail to make the playoffs or make it and get destroyed, so we should just trade Higgins, Kotalik, Prospal, etc. I got the same response ithen as I am getting now. I expect next April to get the same non-response as last April.
6. "Who knows how this season will go. But sitting there with the impression of being on a high and mighty horse, acting like you're the one who's being rational while all of us being encouraged are out of whack and drinking kool aid, is quite misguided to put it bluntly."
I mentioned kool-aid because that's what I was told: if I don't believe the team is better, I am drinking Kool-Aid.
As for everything else, I'm arguing my position. So far, I've argued it on facts. When I was rude, it was in response to prior rudeness directed at me.
I don't believe that a team with a rookie and a recent waiver pick up as centers on the first two lines has a chance in the playoffs against the Caps or the Pens, nor do I believe that Frolov is any kind of savior.
The idea that someone who couldn't get himself a multi-year contract when he's in the prime of his career is a savior seems a little, how should I put it, Kool-Aid.
I'll be very glad if he has a great season, but if he were expected to have a great season, GMs would line up to sign him, rather than let him flap in the wind. No matter the FA environment, game-breakers do not sit and wait for someone to offer them a one-year deal.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Beacon