View Single Post
Old
10-02-2010, 11:52 PM
MarkMM

vCash: 500
I'll try to give both sides of the coin from my viewpoint.

O'Brien is a decent 5/6 guy, who shows glimpses of being more. Why was he wavied? 2.5 reasons.

First, Vancouver's depth-chart on D and salaries:

1.) Edler (3.4M)
2.) Erhoff (3.1M)
3.) Hamhuis (4.5M)
4.) Ballard (4.2M)
5.) Salo (3.5M)
6.) Bieksa (3.75M)
7.) Alberts (1.1M)
8.) O'Brien (1.6M)
9.) Rome (0.75M)

Now, with Salo injured, we can't trade Bieksa (only right-hander we got left) which brings us down to eight, Rome is the cheapest we got for a depth #7, and Alberts played well and is $500k cheaper. That is one reason. The Canucks cap struggles is another half-reason.

The other thing is O'Brien is really, really immature. He misses practices because he sleeps in from partying (got an internal suspension once from the Canucks, and teammates afterwards admitted being tired covering for him, meaning it happened before several times), he gets into shouting matches with the coaches in the middle of games and refuses to come off the ice and had to have Luongo skate over to him and basically force him to calm down and get off the ice, and has had bouts of coming to the team out of shape and over-weight. Vigneault and Gillis are big on character, and I guess they just got tired of waiting for him to mature.

I think he'd bring a good skillset to the Preds, but he is the antipathy of a Predator player. That said, if Trotz feels he could straighten O'Brien out, he might be worth it, he really can be a good defenseman with a hard shot when he gets his head in the game, and he can bring a tough edge to the team as well.

MarkMM is online now   Reply With Quote