View Single Post
Old
10-04-2010, 02:36 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
Tonight I played in a league game for a team needing players but for a few divisions below where I should be playing. It was weird to coast around and focus purely on passing but I liked it. I'm not much of a shooter (my beer league team tells me to shoot more), and I usually prefer passing more in pick up and whatnot. I have pretty much a slap shot I can get off when-where ever and a deceptive-released wrister.

I took one shot, and that was on an unintended breakaway. I just threw it on net from far out. I wanted assists. I only picked up the scoring chances when my sub team had only a goal lead. The other team had a ringer and I made sure to play him normal.

Long story short, I didn't want to be THAT guy.
Yeah definately don't be that guy . It's inevitable that you're going to get a few ringers in a beginners league, simply because when you're short on actual beginner players someone needs to call in a sub to fill a spot, and chances are they're going to be better than everyone else to some degree. My first team we had a guy like that, could probably skate around the other team and score at will but rather took it easy and passed a lot and usually played defense. Play like this and you get appreciated by both sides.

On the other side of the coin, I remember going into one game against a team that was like winless in their frist 6 games so naturally thinking it would be an easy win, but we lost 8-3. One of their guys who showed up had something like 5 goals and 3 assists, another had 3 goals and 2 assists... and that was it, no other scorers on their team. Making matters worse, this bad team had a full bench with 3 full forward lines, yet that main scorer was on the ice for at least half the game. So not only was he that guy, he was also that guy.

For my own no-no's worst I did was shoot a puck straight at a ref on a clearing or dump in while looking directly at him. This wasn't in the beginners league either but rather in the upper divisions, though I was still a panicky beginner, shooting for the open lane without thinking. I felt bad and was appologetic, thankfully he let me off the hook.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote