Thread: Beginners: Tips for Beginners
View Single Post
Old
10-05-2010, 10:22 AM
beth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeland View Post
Beth - wow I've been skating for two months twice a week, as well, and all I can do is go forwards and sort of skid-stop... have to say I'm getting a case of FiveAndaGame's No.1 rule up there...
I think as long as you're slowly seeing progress, it's all good! I try to pick one thing to work on everytime I skate, and I also force myself to spend about half the time I'm there going backwards. I never thought I would be comfortable backwards, I was always so afraid of falling on my butt, but I just made myself do it and then one day I realized I wasn't thinking about it anymore.

Also, don't just go around in laps, use the dots and circles and zig zag around or do figure 8's so that you're turning both ways.

I wear elbows, knees, helmet and wristguards, so that I don't have to worry so much about falling. It allows me to push myself beyond my comfort zone.

I will agree with those who are saying that being in shape for hockey is different. I considered myself in pretty good shape until I went to a "Try Hockey Free" event, and by the end of it I thought that I was going to either pass out or puke on the ice. I was still smiling the whole time, though!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote