View Single Post
Old
10-06-2010, 10:18 AM
CaptainCallahan*

vCash: 500
I know this is beating a dead horse, but please strip Chris Drury of the Captaincy. This is not because he scores 3 goals a season, it is because the pressure is simply too much for him, and you can see him playing out there with the weight of the world on his shoulders. If we can learn something from the Wade Redden debacle, it is that playing under a contract that you don't deserve, and trying to fulfill those epic expectations are too great a burden. Wade even said he felt like the world was on his shoulders, so every time he was on the ice, he felt he wasn't doing enough and had to do more, and this ultimately effected his play and decision making. It is pretty obvious this is happening to Drury. If he is such a great voice in the locker room, that is fine, you don't need a letter on your jersey to prove anything. Look at Detroit, they have a whole team worthy of wearing a letter but only 3 of them do. Without the C on his jersey, and less expectations and demands from the media, I think Drury will have a bounce back season.

What was truly special about Mark Messier was how often he stated that being the Captain of the New York Rangers was a privilege and an honor. Has Drury ever said that, and if he has, was it in a volume where you don't need a hearing aid to hear it?

The most humble person on this roster, who leaves everything out on the ice shift after shift, is Ryan Callahan. He should be wearing the C because he knows what it takes to be a New York Ranger, and he will wear that letter with honor and courage.

As for who wears the Alternates, I don't believe in the theory that your most skilled player should have one simply because he produces, or your most tenured player should have it because he has been around the longest. You have to earn that letter, and most importantly, you have to want that letter. It doesn't matter how old you are, wearing that letter is a symbol of accountability. You have to wear that letter proudly and know that your teammates have your complete respect, and you have to work that much harder to show them that you have their back and will leave it all out on the ice. Chris Drury may not be the offensive player we hoped we were signing, but the way he throws himself in front of every puck on the penalty kill, sacrificing his body to protect Henrik, really shows a great deal of character, and I think he deserves to have an A on his jersey. I think being the head honcho is too much pressure for him, but he deserves an A. As for the other A, that should go to one of the two rocks we have on defense, either Staal or Girardi. It is important to have a leader on the back end because he needs to hold his corp to the highest standards, and make sure they are looking after Henrik as best as they can.

CaptainCallahan* is offline   Reply With Quote