View Single Post
Old
10-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Rob Zepp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgson View Post
Many Canucks fans were excited about our chance of landing Hamhuis on July 1st. A small number of us had our doubts about him (me) but right now, everyone is on the Hamhuis bandwagon. Many of us are looking at the 6 year $27M contract ($4.5M) and thinking it will end up as a big steal and another brilliant move by Gillis.

We believe that Hamhuis will be that number 1 defenseman that people always bring out as a weakness of the Canucks.

Same can be said for Alex Edler however he is 4 years younger then Hamhuis. Hamhuis has also played 230 more games.

He can be our go-to defenseman like Willie Mitchell while being far superior on the offensive side. One of the theories is that he never had a chance to shine or demonstrate his abilities behind two great defenseman in Suter and Weber.

His calm demeanor, smart plays, and his skating... Wow, among our mobile defense he has the best skating, so smooth. He has yet to make a mistake on the ice, it's only preseason though (our team hasn't been good however).

What are your guys take on this? After all he was drafted by Nashville and has played 483 games under your watch.
I will profess to not being as "up" on the Canucks as you are but I see your Canucks not really having ANY #1 D but instead have that role by committee. Ehrhoff (just outside top 10 in Norris voting last year) and Edler (one of top younger Dmen in league) are likely ahead of DH on your team's depth chart. Supporting players like Ballard and Beiksa are not exactly bottom pairing guys and when healthy (if?), Salo is still a top 4 guy for nearly any team in the league.

Vancouver doesn't seem to have a No 1 guy nor do they seem to want one having adopted a different approach of having five or six No 2 guys. Will see if it works for them.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote