MLD Glue Guy

vCash: 500
RW Bud Poile

1947 Stanley Cup Champion
1948 2nd Team All-Star
5th in Points 1948

Legends:
Quote:
Born in Fort William, Ontario, Poile was a local hero with a fine scoring touch and a deadly accurate shot. He was leading the Thunder Bay League in scoring when the Toronto Maple Leafs signed him to a professional contract in November 1942. He led Toronto in playoff scoring in 1943 and formed the effective "Flying Forts" line with fellow Fort William natives Gus Bodnar and Gaye Stewart.

After serving in World War II, he returned to Toronto and won a Stanley Cup in 1947. Poile seemed set in Toronto but was stunned when he was one of the "five ordinary players" sent to Chicago for superstar centre Max Bentley. Poile went on to play for five of the Original Six teams, the lone exception being Montreal.
Feb. 4, 2000 USA Today
Quote:
"I was making about $6,000 or $7,000 with Toronto when I was traded to Chicago," [Star Bud Poile] recalls. "I got to Chicago and general manager Bill Tobin said, 'My God, that's a terrible salary. That (Conn) Smythe is a cheap son of a gun.' He said I will give you $11,000 if you make the All-Star team. I think he thought me making the All-Star team was far-fetched."

Here and there: The 1946-47 season was Gordie Howe's first in the NHL, and he didn't make the All-Star Game. For years on the banquet circuit, Bud Poile liked to say he took Howe's spot.

Last edited by Hedberg: 10-08-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote