View Single Post
10-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Global Moderator
vCash: 500
The London Bandits select the QB of our PP,

Mark Streit, D

2007-08: 13th in Norris voting, 13th in AS voting, 3rd in points among defensemen behind only Lidstrom and Gonchar

2008-09: 8th in Norris voting, 10th in AS voting, 7th in points among defensemen
-On the NY Islanders: Led the team in scoring (all players) with 56 points, 2nd place was a forward with only 39 points! +/- of +5: only player who played more than half the games to be a plus player; team overall goal differential was -78

2009-10: 10th in Norris voting, 13th in AS voting, 8th in points among defensemen
-On the NY Islanders: 3rd in scoring on the team, only 5 points behind 1st, +/- of zero on a team that was -42 in goal differential

(in 2009-10)Streit anchored the defense, had the third-most points on the team, and led all Islanders in ice time last year by a full 5 minutes per game over the next guy.

International Play = Big Part of Team Switzerland for over a Decade:

-Competed in the 2002, 2006, 2010 Olympics

-Captain of a never-quit Switzerland team in the 2006 and 2010 Olympics. I believe Streit led Switzerland in ice time by a wide margin in 2010 (anyone know where to find this?)

-36 points in 78 World Championship games, going back to 1998

Originally Posted by wikipedia
In 1998, Streit appeared in his first of ten consecutive World Championships. Playing as the host nation, Switzerland finished a surprising fourth, falling to the Czech Republic in the bronze-medal game. He scored an international career-best seven points in seven games in 2005, as Switzerland advanced to the quarter-finals, losing to Sweden 2-1.

Streit competed in his first Winter Olympics in 2002 in Salt Lake City. He scored two points in four preliminary games as Switzerland finished 11th.

As Streit was named team captain at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin,[5] Switzerland improved to sixth, topping international giants Czech Republic and Canada in their preliminary games. Streit scored the game winning goal against the Czechs to defeat them 3-2 in the Swiss' second round-robin game,[6] then assisted on the second goal of a 2-0 upset against Canada two days later.[7] Following the stunning Swiss victory over Canada, an incredulous Streit admitted, "I never thought we could do that."[5] In the quarter-finals, Streit scored in the first period to tie the game 1-1, but the Swiss were overpowered by Sweden 6-2.[8]
-Captain of the never-quit Switzerland team in the 2006 and 2010 Olympics

Originally Posted by Bruno Gervais, Streit's teammate on the Islanders
Let me tell you something. I’ve had the good luck to play with a lot of great leaders here. Doug Weight and Brendan Witt, Billy Guerin when he was here. I think Mark Streit is one of the best. Such an emotional leader
I’m telling you: he’s become an incredible leader for us. Just talking about my own experience with him, Mark gets on me. If I make a soft play, I hear about it from him. He pushes and pushes me, and I think that’s made me a much better player the second half of this season.
Between periods, he’s always encouraging me: “YOU GO”! You would think if you’re the defense partner of Mark Streit, that’s the last thing you’d be doing. But Mark wants what’s best for me and the team. On top of that, he knows everything about every player in the league. He is so well-prepared and that has rubbed off on me. Confidence comes from preparation.

(After Streit's injury):The free agents the Islanders brought in have already proven themselves elsewhere, but will be called upon to step into Streit's vacant leadership role.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 11-08-2010 at 11:52 AM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote