Thread: News Article: Leetch Speaks
View Single Post
Old
10-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Black Tank

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
But you acknowledge that systems don't get implemented overnight ,right? Several of these players had been playing under Renney's defense first, 5 in the picture, play for the shoot-out system.... Tortorella came in and last season was his first full season to implement his system for how he wanted the team to play.... That's not going to happen right away.... There is an adjustment period for the players, there is an adjustment period for the coaching staff to gauge what the players are and aren't capable of.... You saw that first hand with Staal and his inconsistency in the beginning of the season vs. his confidence and sound decision making at the end of the season (when it comes to generating offense and rushing the puck).... You shouldn't rush to judgement, this season will give us a much better evaluation of Tortorella's system and whether or not it will work for this group... He weeded out some undesirable players and the remaining players know what's expected of them and how they are being asked to play....
I don't disagree about the adjustment period but will these players ever be able to compete successfully with a puck pursuit system? And if this offseason is anything like future offseasons, we will not be flipping the roster over quickly. IMO, I don't think we have the horses to compete with a puck pursuit system.

I hope I'm proven wrong and that last year was ONLY a learning problem and not an ability problem but in any event I don't think we can afford another 60 games of atrocious hockey like last year to see if the system is taking hold.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote