View Single Post
Old
10-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Proto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
The dollar amount he took in Calgary seems like a great deal for a player with his resume and skill set. That's 4th line, roll player money. In the end I think we lost out on Morrison because he'll get more responsibility with the Flames. I honestly thought Morrison would sign for a much higher salary once I saw him play some preseason games.

If he wanted to be here I think he would have made a significant contribution. He's a wily vet. He's got some skill, is a former iron man, known for clutch goals in OT and shootouts. He would have been perfect in a bottom six role with some gritty line mates. A guy like that on a stacked team would have come in very handy when our depth got tested. Morrison signing with the Flames is my biggest disappointment of the preseason.
What?! The guy was like a -2 with 1 meagre assist, very few shots on goal, and isn't very strong on the puck. I thought he'd get 600k to play somewhere on a one-way deal. Hansen money seemed like the high end of what he'd get.

And he didn't go to Calgary because he got offered more. He didn't get offered anything by Mike Gillis. No years, no one or two ways, no dollar amounts -- nothing. In fact, he couldn't even negotiate with other teams while he was in Vancouver, so if they'd be interested they could have offered him something.

Look, Calgary is a good fit for him. He'll get a chance no the 2nd line with some decent players that complement his skillset (Hagman and Bourque). He has a chance to have a decent year. He wasn't good enough to crack the Canucks top six, however, and doesn't have the necessary skills to be a utility player on the third or fourth line, in my opinion. He's basically an older Wellwood at this point -- who I think Calgary should have signed.

But that's just me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
^I wouldn't go as far as to call Morrison a no-show. I thought he displayed good two-way ability, was strong in the faceoff circle, an effective penalty killer and moved the puck smartly out of his zone--all areas where RJ struggled last year as the 4th line center.

However, with Bolduc's progressive improvement as the preseason wore on, the Canucks decided to side with the young guy with potential upside vs. the veteran.

In Schaefer's case, he had a solid camp in all areas as well. Except he managed to help generate more offensive than Mo did--which for a guy coming off a year with no hockey is impressive. He also took a two-way deal, something Mo likely wouldn't have done if we'd made him such an offer.
Fine, instead of a "no show", I'll call him a "barely showed". He would have had very little utility on the Canucks bottom six, in my opinion. I would have rather re-signed Wellwood as the fourth line centre, given Morrison's showing in the last couple games of pre-season.

Look, I was really keen on them bringing Morrison in. I thought he could hack it and he looked pretty speedy the first couple of games. But I realized by the end of camp that most of what I was seeing was what I wanted to see because I think he's a great guy and was a great competitor in Vancouver. But looking at the pre-season, I don't think he was very good, much like Oreskovich (who I also really wanted to see crack the line-up).

Last edited by Proto: 10-07-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote