View Single Post
Old
10-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
I know that our RFA's will need raises and we'll need to budget potentially for a high pick, but what about all the vets we could potentially get rid of?

We obviously won't lose them all, but Vokoun, Stillman, McCabe, Reinprecht, and Olesz could all potentially be gone. That has to free up a lot of money going forward, right?
It's a lot, but like TimH said when you factor in raises for guys like Frolik, Santorelli if he has a good year, and all the other young talent we will have to give money to either next summer or in the near future, it's really not that much space we have left, if our budget stays around the same. When you crunch the numbers, there really isn't any room for a big name forward to be brought in here. And that's with Vokoun gone and Marky/Clemmer only taking up approx. 2M. Now, I'm assuming we will be getting a top 3 pick and therefore a 3M+ contract. That may not be the case, but if it is, the priority is definitely getting that pick signed and brought in ASAP and not some older forward from outside the org.

I'm assuming Vokoun, Caber, Stillman, Dvo, and Olesz(bought out) will all be gone. That's my best guess at prognosticating. If Reino goes too, that's another 2M gone, but that ain't really much. I guess you could upgrade from a mid-tier 2nd liner to a fringe 1st liner with that extra dough, but you're most likely not going to get a star to come here with that, not in free agency.