View Single Post
Old
10-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

vCash: 500
Tinordi in the KHL?

While I would gladfully admit that Jarred Tinordi isn't ready for the NHL next year, maybe he would be KHL-ready after his stay in the London Knights. From what I know of the playing style of the KHL, the KHL is a league where speed and offensive skill can make or break D-men. That's how I would see Tinordi in the KHL: he'd start out on the 2nd penalty kill of a team willing to sign him and, if he plays well on the 2nd penalty kill, move him up to the first PK. (Metallurg Magnitogorsk drafted him, albeit in the 7th round, for a reason; Magnitka knows that he is rather fast for his size and that he could be a defensive D-man)

Because his KHL rights are held by Metallurg Magnitogorsk, any KHL team other than Magnitogorsk that would even remotely consider signing him would have to trade for him.

I don't think the Habs are willing to let him go to the KHL unless they were absolutely certain that the KHL would make a better Hab out of Tinordi than Hamilton would. But they can determine what good the KHL can do to a player with Avtsin, Trotter and Ramo. Granted, none of these players are D-men but if the KHL made these players better it could be more tempting for the Habs to send Tinordi on his way.

Here's a list of the possible outcomes:

1. Magnitogorsk signs him for one or two years come 2011 (because he is a raw rookie to the KHL's eyes) and plays for Magnitogorsk at a first-rounder's rate, about $350K a year (because he is a first-rounder talent; if he was the Habs' first-rounder, he could have been Magnitogorsk's first-rounder as well)

2. Magnitogorsk locks him up for a longer-term deal and makes him its "designated player" (i.e. one of a small number of players that they can overpay) for 3-4 seasons

3. Magnitogorsk trades him for either a draft pick or "future considerations" and the team that traded for Tinordi would sign him

4. None of the above; Tinordi won't play in the KHL

Although he never said anything bad about the KHL (at least, not to my knowledge) do you think that the KHL would make a better hockey player out of Tinordi than the Bulldogs would?

Also, which of the 4 outcomes is the most likely?

Last edited by Mathradio: 10-11-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote