View Single Post
Old
10-04-2003, 09:50 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori_18_23
Exactly. Remember the Steve Brule situation and how quickly that died last season? What was Hartley thinking on that one though
Yea that was an enigma. Hartley didn't get the clue either until like a month before he was fired. He was still mixing and matching. I liked Hartley, and was shocked and a bit upset when he got fired(even though I have grown to see it was inevitable, the players just needed a change, still htink he should have been given a shot till the end of the season) but I never figured out why he did that so much. I remember hearing about the line combinations during pre-season last year, and thinking, hey that's a good idea, it builds chemistry for later on in the season when players are forced to play with each other if there's an injury or for some other reason. But then he just kept doing it. I remember seeing Brule penciled in as the left wing on the top line on opening day, and thinking what is the point of this. But I went along with it, because Hartley was, and is great coach, and a great hockey mind. This is why I was disapointed when Hartley was let go. Granato, may be a great motivator, but I just don't see how a guy (no matter how smart, and how much he was a student of the game all those years) with no coaching experience, can be smart enough tactically to make the necesary changes, in say hypothetically, a playoff series against Minnesota. But then again with all the veteran talent we have this year, maybe I could coach them and get the job done. I was actually hoping Barry Melrose would have got the job, I thought he would have been a great fit. He is great with his players, and has won chapionships as a coach before at most all levels, and almost in the NHL too. He's even a proponent of an offensive system like Pierre wants.