View Single Post
Old
10-11-2010, 11:39 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
Some of Prospal's money is in bonuses, so I doubt those 4 clear up enough space to nab Richards. More likely a Drury buyout and a Roszival trade if the Rangers go that route.
No chance in hell Drury gets bought out.

Obviously, it's preferable to just sign him in July. But his cap hit might be larger at that point than if we deal for him and he agrees to re-sign.

I have no problem trading assets (we're supposed to have a wealth of them, aren't we) for Richards at the deadline if he signs an extension, especially if it would save us the overpayment we'd probably have to supply him with if he gets to July 1st.

If the Kovalchuk deal is an indication of the kind of return Dallas would expect, I'm prepared to part with something like the following:

1st, Dubinsky, Rozsival, and something like Boyle/Hagelin/prospect of equal value

or 1st, Grachev, Rozsival, McDonagh

We're not going to be able to keep every single young player, anyway. Someones going to have get dealt eventually. Might as well do it now if it can guarantee you this guy. You gotta give to get, and Richards is the real deal. You're talking about a 80-90 point playmaking first line center. That's nothing to scoff at. As impressive as Stepan is, it's quite a leap of faith to assume he's going to be as good as a Richards. If he isn't, I don't see any other way we're going to fill that hole in time to not waste the prime of Lundqvist, not to mention Gaborik. I've called for a true rebuild for years, but at this point, it's too late. The only other option is to make the moves to go for it. 90 point centers don't become available very often.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote