View Single Post
Old
10-12-2010, 08:07 AM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

vCash: 500
Queen's University selects 6'1 left winger Nick Libett, a respected checker who could score and lead, spending most of his 12 years in Detroit as an alternate captain, two of those years with the 'C'. He played in the 1977 all-star game and represented Canada at the world championships. He scored 505 points in 982 career games but it is his speed, work ethic and effectiveness away from the puck that he is renowned for.

Quote:
... used his speed and quick hands to be an asset at both ends of the ice. He reached the 20-goal mark six times and would have been better known if he played on one of the NHL's better clubs.

Beginning in 1968-69, the talented winger was a regular in the Wings' lineup for eleven seasons during some lean times. He recorded six 20-goal seasons and scored a career-high 31 in 1971-72 playing on a line with Marcel Dionne and Bill Collins.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=13396

Quote:
It was without the puck where Libett was most respected. His work as a checker rated him among the best in the NHL.

We'd play against Montreal and we''d play against the (New York) Rangers," Libett said. "They had right wings like (Hall of Famers) Guy Lafleur and Rod Gilbert and I'd have to check them."

He checked them pretty well. Just ask Gilbert. "Every time I played against him, I cringed, because I knew I wouldn't have any room and I was going to have a tough time," Gilbert said.

A durable, hard-working sort, Libett missed only two games his first six NHL seasons and once played 389 consecutive games. "He had that determination and drive you'd like to see all the players on your team have," noted Dave Lewis, Libett's NHL opponent for seven seasons. "You'd slow him down and he'd keep coming. You'd hit him and he'd get back up. And he was relentless as a checker."

Libett performed these challenging and often dirty tasks for a team which made the playoffs just twice during his 12 seasons as a Red Wing. "Playing on a bad team, it's difficult, but the motivation comes from within," he explained. "I like to think I have a lot of pride."
http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.ht...wol-nicklibett

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote