Thread: AHL or SEL
View Single Post
Old
10-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Ribban

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Change Elitserien to small ice surface NOW. Prospects can keep developing at home longer, our league stays better, more exciting and they get used to playing the hockey they need overseas. Then the NHL clubs really just have to focus on whether the player is good enough to make the team or not, and won't feel the urgency to bring them over just to place them in the minors to learn systems.

As for the players, it's their decision and they should know what benefits them the most, or they should look for another agent.
I agree with you in that the NHL teams would have a better read on their prospects' ability to play on small ice. However, I don't think the skill set and coaching in the SEL are to the NHL clubs' liking. So, until there is some sort of price to pay for bringing over a youngster from Europe the NHL will continue to do so, and then send the kids down into their own minor league affiliates (more control and better public interest story if/when the player makes the big club).

Please note that I am all for kids heading over to NA. Too many talented players stay around and never get a chance because of all sorts of stupid reasons (so-and-so's nephew, son, etc.). Might as well make an adventure out of it and head out in the world. Even if similar politics exists everywhere, you still have a bunch of interesting and new experiences that you can cherish for the rest of your life. Screw the SEL and HA .

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote