View Single Post
Old
10-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Sauer got a brief audition on the left side at the end of the Islander game and looked completely lost and out of place. It was an unfair and stupid position for Tortorella to put a young player in, and its even worse that Sauer is seemingly scratched because of that mistake on the Isles game winner.

This is what Torts does. He'll *****, complain, and make irrational decisions until Sather gets him a left-handed defenseman to play the left side. If this was going to be such a friggin issue, they should have just kept up Valentenko or McDonagh and dealt with the growing pains.
Actually, there may be method to Tortorella's madness. Gilroy has played the left side as a defenseman (pretty sure Andrew Gross mentioned this). I think it's possible this is more of an audition for Gilroy to prove he can play that side. If he can, then it gives Tortorella more freedom to rotate Sauer into the lineup and see if Gilroy and Sauer can mesh well together.

Of course, I may be wrong, but it is another way of looking at the situation. I don't think Valentenko or McDonagh are really options right now--it's very hard for any team--especially one where the goal is to make the playoffs--to play two very inexperienced defenseman (and I'm including Gilroy here), even on the third pair. It puts too much pressure on the other two pairs--especially because the more minutes Del Zotto plays at even strength, the more his defensive deficencies are exposed.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote