View Single Post
Old
05-07-2005, 06:50 PM
reckoning

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
Actually, the fact that he was never a post-season all-star, Stanley Cup winner, Hart Trophy winner or finalist, or a top 5 scorer is why he is not worthy. Just playing a long time during the most offensive era hockey has ever known should not be reason enough to be in the Hall.

The greats score no matter who they play with and win awards no matter what team they are on. Bernie just wasn't quite good enough in my book.

Excellent player just not Hall worthy.
You`re overrating the value of post-season all-star berths. There`s a lot more great centres than the other forward positions, yet they`re being counted the same. Luc Robitaille has made the first or second All-Star team 8 times; Steve Yzerman once. I don`t think even the president of the Luc Robitaille Fan Club feels he deserves to be ranked ahead of Yzerman. Like I mentioned earlier, there`s a lot of politics going on behind award selections. A lot of it is P.R. or reputation. Writers don`t always make intelligent choices; other than the team that they cover the only games they watch are what they catch on T.V. This is where guys playing in non-marquee cities get overlooked, especially in the 70s and 80s when all the games weren`t available on cable like now. As much as we would like to believe otherwise, these selections are not always the result of "unbiased eyewitnesses." Plus the writers travelling with the team most of the year will naturally get along with some players more than others. It would be naive to think that doesn`t influence their choices. Here in Ottawa, there have been instances of writers letting personal vendettas against certain individuals influence what is supposed to be impartial reporting. (i.e. Don Brennan-Alexei Yashin, Bruce Garrioch-Pierre Gauthier)

Yes, Federko was never a top 5 scorer, but he was top 10 four times and top 15 six times. I`ll take that oversomebody like Ken Hodge who was top 5 three times (with help) but not top 20 any other year.

That`s just regular season. Shouldn`t the fact that he was once the leading scorer in the playoffs count for something?