View Single Post
Old
10-16-2010, 10:28 AM
hockeygoon15

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah, there's a pretty big range of possible shoulder problems.

Chiming in with our own anecdotes means absolutely nothing when it comes to Gaborik's injury, but hey I'll chip in one if it makes people feel better.

I was playing frisbee on a frozen field, slipped while running and landed on my left shoulder outstretched, felt a bunch of pain, sat up and felt it pop back into place (didn't feel it come out). Hurt like a ***** for a day or two. In two weeks it was pretty much back to normal and 3-4 it was probably fine.

Pretty sure whatever happened to Gaborik wasn't nearly that bad.

On the other hand, the shoulder isn't quite the same as it used to be. It's as strong and all but it can feel a little off in certain positions. On the other, other hand, I didn't go to a doctor so who knows!

At any rate, a diagnoses of 2-3 weeks may not be off base dependinig on what really happened, and we certainly don't know for sure what happened yet.

Also, this is probably the best time for Gaborik to be out if it had to happen. This early in the season, plenty of guys are still scoring (Dubinsky, Boyle, etc). Goals are easier to come by early in the season, so this is as good a time as any to rely on the secondary scorers
A separation isn't really the same as a dislocation. Although the terms are sometimes used interchangeably, a separation is actually a sprain of the ligaments around the AC joint, not the joint popping out. Happened to me once from a skiing fall. I landed on my shoulder and the force pulled my arm/shoulder down. I thought I broke my collar bone again, but structurally my shoulder was still intact. Unfortunately I sprained the **** out of all the all the ligaments up there. It can heal up quickly, Just as a wrist or ankle sprain can, or it can take a long time sometimes even requiring surgery.

Quote:
A shoulder separation is not truly an injury to the shoulder joint. The injury actually involves the acromioclavicular joint (also called the AC joint). The AC joint is where the collarbone (clavicle) meets the highest point of the shoulder blade (acromion).
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00033

Either way, welcome to the club guys.

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote