View Single Post
Old
10-16-2010, 12:24 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
D Bob Armstrong

1x NHL All-Star Game Participant (Merit-based)
2x Top 10 PIM (4, 9)
2x Stanley Cup Finalist
2x Top 15 Points Among Defensemen (14, 12)
99 points in 542 career NHL games (adjusted 120 points)

Quote:
A bruising, hard-hitting defenceman, Armstrong anchored the Boston blueline for every one of his 542 career NHL games after graduating from Stratford in junior hockey. He never rushed the puck, got into plenty of fights, and made it to the Stanley Cup finals twice, losing to Montreal in 1953 and again in 1957.

He played junior in Stratford in the late 1940s until breaking in with the Bruins in 1950-51. The following year was entirely with the farm team in Hershey until the playoffs when he was called up as a stopgap measure and played in five games. Amrstrong spent most on the next dozen years in the NHL.

In 1961-62, he started the season, as usual, in Boston, but was demoted after nine games. Two years later, he retired.
-loh.net

Quote:
I went down there with another player in mind, Bob Armstrong. I always liked Bob-and not because we were both prematurely bald, either. He'd played for me in Springfield the year before. Really played well. Good defensive hockey player. And from watching the movies, I knew the Leafs were bad on defense. So I tried to get him from Boston.

Well, they weren't going to give up Armstrong.
-Hockey is a Battle: Punch Imlach's Own Story

Quote:
The Bruins presented a formidable defense with Doug Mohns, Leo Boivin, Fern Flaman, and Bob Armstrong
-Great Book of Hockey: More than 100 years of Fire on Ice

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote