View Single Post
Old
10-16-2010, 09:51 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord
Perhaps our standards of what constitutes a "top-6 winger" has to change by the time we're 1200 picks in?

For example, I would generally tend to think of Scott Mellanby as a bottom-6 player, but 850 career points is the highest total of any player in this draft, if I'm not mistaken, and seven 50+ point seasons has to put him top-8 in that regard as well. If he's one of the most offensively-established players here, then he can go on a top line.

I could put him on a 4th because he's good at that game, and grab a guy whose offense is less-established, but whose primary skill was offense, but to me, that would be akin to putting Bill Cook on an ATD 4th line to make room for Peter Bondra because Bondra is "more of a scorer"
Interesting point! When you put Mellanby in your line-up I thought it was just another Drury-on-all-time-top-6? but it may be more than that, given your reasoning.

Libett, Mickoski, and Brunette are also ideally all-time context Bottom-6 wingers. There aren't many bona fide all-time Top-6 wingers in this draft, but among them: Bruneteau, Colville, Murray, Milks, Green and Lukowich.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote